Monday, July 09, 2007

Time to Depart

This is our last day in India. We are preparing for our departure, and looking forward to seeing family and friends. There is so many memories and so many stories to tell and we look forward to telling all of them upon our return.

We have seen God move in our lives and the lives of those we have been in contact with while serving here. It has been a great pleasure and blessing to be able to serve and be served through out our stay.

Now it is time to return and pray that the seeds that were planted will grow and multiply, but in the end I just want God's will and not mine. I think I have been able to release more of my control and allow God to fill that void, and it is a joy to experience. To die more to self and live more in Christ, that is the goal.

I preached last night and I wanted it to be a challenge to the students, but it ultimately became a challenge for me. The challenge to lose ourselves, to empty ourselves and be filled with Christ. John 3:30, “He must become greater; I must become less.” That should be our goal. I talked about being a servant, being humble and being joyful in Lord and what those really meant.

Do we serve as Christ did? Are we willing to look foolish for God? Jesus, the Lord of our lives demonstrated being a servant and humble in the act of washing the disciples feet. When was the last time any of us acted in such a manner? Do we see ourselves worth more then what Christ portrayed with His disciples? If He showed love and humility in such a manner; how much more should we?

Joy in the Bible seems to be surrounded by persecution, trials and tribulation. The disciples were always joyous when they were able to suffer as Christ did. Are we only joyful when we think God is blessing us? Are we joyful when we are persecuted for the faith, or going through sufferings for His sake? Do we pray that God would include us in His sufferings, that we would be honored to join Him in that aspect of Christianity? Are we willing to really follow through? It is convicting to think about, and quite possibly impossible to pray in our own power, but we should be willing.

These are tough questions to ask and to answer. I know that I have failed many times, but I long to be that person. Do you? Take time and seek the Lord and pray the tough prayer that He would become more and you/me less. In the end it is not about you and me, but our Father in Heaven. Like the song says, "It is all about you Jesus!" Pray these words and mean them.

Luke 14:26“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple."

If we are not putting Him before everything, including our families, jobs, education and hobbies then we are not following as we should. Is our love for God more then anyone or anything else? How can we truly love if we do not love the perfect love Giver most?

Where are you at today? Reflect, seek and ask for God to show you how to become less, so He becomes more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
Very well said(written). I would add,as a pastor, that we should include our ministry as well. We tend to only see God in it when He is "blessing us" but He is blessing us even in times of hardship.
He is to have first place in all of our life. I have been stressing this for our little church here and with the many that God allows in my life.
As to washing of feet-I believe we have washed each others feet and that is humbling for us both.
Serving one another should not be based on our attitudes toward those we are serving( where was Judas while Jesus washed feet)but because we have experienced grace and mercy.
Love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.
Love is a verb!
Thanks for your willing servants heart.