Thursday, July 19, 2007

Family Guy or Family Destruction?

I have heard Christians from many different churches and denominations tell me, "Family Guy is funny, but it can be very offensive to Christianity, but they are offensive to everyone." This is shocking to me, because does it make it alright that as long as someone is being offensive to all other faiths that it is alright to make fun of our God, of our Savior, Jesus Christ? Not to me!

I am for one becoming sick and tired of Christians who keep rationalizing watching these programs that purposely portray Jesus Christ in the manner they do. They make a mockery of our faith and our Savior and then it is rationalized because they make fun of other faiths as well. I am wondering if these shows make fun of Islam and Muhammad? I am guessing no, because they are afraid of the fallout that it would cause. Just look at what a little comic caused. But Jesus, the true God is fair game because Christians will just fluff it off as funny and alright because they are making fun of other faiths as well. Where is the respect, admonition and awe of our Savior? It sure is not demonstrated in watching programs as this.

Below is several clips demonstrating the "humor" of Family Guy. I find it appalling and it made me sick to my stomach to watch it and to think of how many Christians told me they watch it, especially Christians in leadership and public positions. It saddens me that we would rationalize something so repulsive as humorous. When we were younger the worst thing was always to say something bad about the other persons mom. How much worse our Savior?

Watch this video and tell me how this in anyway goes with what Paul tells us in Philippians 4:8-9, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you."

Or what Jesus said in Matthew 22:37, "Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."

This is not a Family Guy, and is more in the realm of Family destruction and should not be watched by any Christian. It is trash plain and simple.




"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:1-2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
I did not get to view this as it did not open for me. That is just fine by me. I have seen and watched enough of tv, listened to enough radio, listened in on jokes at the proverbial "water-cooler", and need not watch what some cartoon does to degrade our Blessed Redemer, our King,Savior,and God.
Trash is trash. I do not like it when people insult any faith but especially when it is the one True faith. People have allowed more garbage into their homes to assault the fabric of morality, respect, and love than I care to think of, myself included quite honestly.
While it is ok to be entertained by things around us we must guard what is precious to us. My love for God, family, church, and the lost commands me to seperate myself from those things which divide my heart. How would Jesus like the shows that mock Him? How would those jokes play at the foot of the cross? How would you like it if you were the brunt of everyone's humor that dragged all that you are through the mire?
I like good tv,media, and radio. It is just hard to come by today. I do not need images that arouse, language that degrades, or humor that is an attack, to be entertained.
I can just look at the lives around me for that. That is quite entertaining in and of itself, not to mention sad.

Anonymous said...

What's the problem? Christianity is false anyway. Also, they have made fun of Islam.