Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What Is In A Name?

Ecclesiastes 7:1, “A good name is better than precious ointment, And the day of death than the day of one’s birth;”

Have you ever walked into church, work, a house and saw someone that you should know but for the life of you, you could not remember their name? A lot of us try to avoid the person. A trick that I would use, and I am ashamed to tell this, but I will, because it makes a point, was to use my assistant director.

When I was director of Faith, Hope and Love my assistant director had an amazing gift for remembering names, and I was an idiot in this category. Though I would look at pictures, at their files, say them over when I shook their hands, make funny pictures in my minds, I still had troubles. When I saw someone I knew I was not going to remember, I would walk up and my assistant and I had a system and a type of code for me to tell her which person without them noticing and she would tell me their name. It was important to me to use their name, because I knew it was important to them, as I like it when people remember my name.

People love it when you use their name. My daughters love it when I use their names when I say I love them. They light up. It means more to them. Our names attach who we are to them. I am alive, I am human, I am Alan, and all that has meaning and value attached to each of them. I love my wife, and I love Erin, both have intrinsic and extrinsic value.

Try this some time, just humor me and take a moment and try this exercise. It may sound silly and feel silly, but I have done it, otherwise, I would not ask you to do it. I just want you to sit down and say out loud these names in order and take several moments in between:
1. Buddha
2. Allah
3. Shiva
4. Jesus
5. Vishnu

Did you do it and take time in between each one and reflect on them? Why does it seem that more comes from the name of Jesus then any others? This does not come from my Christian bent either. His name is used for cursing out of all names, why? Because there is power in it. We do not use any of the other names, why? No power!

Jesus Christ brings out the most vile insults and hatred out of people and at the same time brings the most love and admonition as well. If you do not know why, don’t you think it would be worth finding out? If you know Him, but only think on Him once in a while, don’t you think it would be worth it to get to know the name above all names; the one that draws the most power?

What is in a name? Everything!

John 1:12, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:”

John 10:7-9, “Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.”

Acts 2:38, “Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Colossians 3:17, “And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”

No comments: