Sunday, September 02, 2007

The Ultimate “Momma Joke!”

This past Friday night I was discussing what it means to be a disciple of Christ, as we are going to make it our theme this year. We want to be able to say, “Here I am Lord . . . Send me!” When God says go, we go. If He says stop we stop. First and foremost we want to follow the call of God and make it known in our lives. Jesus Christ is our first love!!!

In particular we were discussing how hard it really is to be a disciple of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. It is hard to be the only one to stand up in class for Christ and look like a fool to other students. To stand up though it may cost your grade, your finances, or your life, and be satisfied and fulfilled because you are a disciple, soldier, for Christ.

During our discussion I posed the question why we allow people to talk so divisively about our Savior. We tend to allow others to make fun of Him and degrade who He is without speaking up, and at times engaging in the joking or coarse behavior. Why is this?

Then while we were praying a thought came to me. When I was growing up, and maybe this is just a guy thing, the ultimate insult to someone was to talk about their mother in a negative fashion. Why? Because Moms are almost always there, and they our earthly view of undying love. It is a rare occasion that moms are not part of their children’s lives, as opposed to Dad’s who are known to leave without reason a lot. Just look at our poor communities if you need an example. But, when you made a Mom joke, it was on! Either you were going to fight or lose face, because no one makes fun of your Mom.

Why are we not adamant about Jesus in this way? We should be. I am not telling you to fight because someone picks on Christ or your Christianity, but I am advocating not allowing people demean the name of Christ without letting them known they are picking on your Savior; and in reality theirs. I am advocating that we take the name of Jesus Christ more seriously and with more respect; with more respect than our own mothers. Developing the soldier, disciple mentality that we would go to battle and die if asked for our Savior, because to attack Him is to attack our very being. The One who holds our eternal destiny in His hands.

The call is to become like Paul asks Timothy to be in 2 Timothy 2:1-4, “2 Timothy 2:1-4, “You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.”

Or to answer like Isaiah when God spoke, “Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me” (Isaiah 6:8).

Do you look like a disciple of Jesus now?

Would someone know you are a follower of Christ by watching your actions, listening to you talk, or just being in your presence?

This is the challenge I posed to the college students Friday night, and they are taking the challenge. Will you? Check back weekly as we move through becoming disciples of Christ.

No comments: