Wednesday, May 02, 2007

All Are Equal?

The Interfaith Council I participated is described as:

The IUP Interfaith Council is an interdenominational body where people of all faiths will be welcomed and included as equal partners. All member groups will have an equal right to speak and vote. The Interfaith Council recognizes and affirms the spiritual part of every human being.

I have been really fighting with myself as to my participation within an organization that makes equal all faiths. I was not questioning the people, as they were all very nice, caring and intelligent people. What I am questioning is what they have allowed themselves to believe.

How would I say that all the faiths that were sitting in the room were equal partners, when I believe the Bible to be the true inerrant word of God and all other faiths to be false? It is impossible to then believe in equality amongst the members. Where I do believe the people as individuals are equal in our humanistic qualities, but in the essence of our spirituality and what is inside us there is a big difference and inequality.

Philosophically there cannot equality in truth among us. There has to be a right or wrong. Either Christ is the way or He is not. To give the representation that Christ is not the ONLY way and that He is equal in thought to other beliefs is something I could no longer rationalize.

I looked at several key verses in Scripture that talk about partnering with other beliefs and then it truly becomes a “no-brainer” to me.

1 John 4:2-3, “This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.”

How is that I could sit and truthfully tell a Wiccan that he/she is as equal in thought to what I believe, when I believe in Christ and she/he does not? How can I sit there and allow them to vote on spiritual matters that affect the IUP student when I believe that would be deceiving them, and as in the verse above I would go against God Himself.

Here are some other verses I took into consideration when deciding what to do:

Romans 16:17, “I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.”

2 Corinthians 6:14-15, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?”

2 Thessalonians 3:6, “In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us.”

2 John 10-11, “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.”

2 Peter 2:1-3, “But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.” (What better place to happen then in a place that says all our beliefs are equal.)

Then there is the entire book of Jude.

I had to go with my conscience and the Bible on this one. It is evident to me that we are not to yolk ourselves to something that could ultimately lead to confusion or outright misleading to one of the students I am accountable for. How can I tell them Christ is the only way and then go to a group that says all ways are equal? Though we are given to our own beliefs, the very presence of being there gives room for confusion and misleading.

If the group were formed to debate what truth is then I would be all for it, but I do not believe that our IUP students should be taught that anything but Christ is truth. They could be taught the other beliefs, but at the same time I think they should be taught as to why they are wrong and why Christianity is the only true way to Heaven. By no other name on earth or in Heaven is one saved, except by Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to draw lines that seperate us from seemingly well intentioned people. The fact is we have nothing in common with those who do not hold to the essential doctrines of our faith. " A house divided will fall" This is true for others as it is for Christians.
As a Christian I need to make clear that I love people. Whatever their lives may be full of. Whatever sin they may be living in. Whatever false religion they may follow. I can still love them and desire for them to come to the TRUTH that set me free from the eternal punishment of sin, and I do not have to conform or agree with their belief system. Wrong is wrong and right, right. We are enemies with the World and soldiers of The Cross. There can not be equallity within different beliefs when only one way claims to be right. Some say I am arrogant and they are right. I can afford to be I have my fiath established in Jesus.
Keep your eyes on The prize! Lose not heart and come out from among them. Your stand today will be seen by onlookers as your belief states.
Ac 4:12 And in none other is there salvation: for neither is there any other name under heaven, that is given among men, wherein we must be saved.

Jn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.
This seems narrow minded by some but we know the road is narrow and few find it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Alan on this decision. Actually to agree with Alan on this decision would be to agree with the Lord.

Some will say that as Christians we are called to be amoung sinners. As you have pointed out, Alan, God has laid it out. We are not to compromise any part of God's Word to make friends. Christ went amoung sinners but what did he say to them?

Mike I like your words. All of us Christians need to profess love AND truth.