Sunday, January 28, 2007

WHY DO WE WOUND OUR OWN?

I moved back to Indiana, Pa almost two years ago, and it took me almost that amount of time to listen to a Christian program that I now think is very good. That program is called “The Noise,” hosted by Adam Strawcutter on Saturday nights from 7 to 10pm. I listened for the first time this past Friday, and had I known that it was as good as it was then I would have made a point to listen earlier.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-13 tells us, “For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing. And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. Be at peace among yourselves.”

Typically I am not one to take many things just at sight or their word, as working in many different forms of ministry and with many different economic situations, I have had many lessons in pre-judging. Though I do continue to teach that we should be presentable (dress, act, and live) how we want to be perceived, as the world is just identified in that fashion, especially in America. Whether good or bad, that is just the way it is. In this case I failed miserably and had to apologize to Adam for judging his show that I had not listened or even tried to see what it was about.

Instead I listened to some people who had a negative image of the programming for whatever reason, and not those that had a more positive image. It may be because Adam dresses different at times, or listens to different music, or maybe they just have heard things and they have judged also without listening. As my last blog says and I believe, it is impossible not to judge, but how we judge and act toward one another is the point. Are we doing it with the right evidence? Did we seek out and search for ourselves what was being accused? Or did we jump on the band wagon and continue to wound one of our own. There is a time to judge our own, and we should when they are sinning, but not because they are outreaching in a fashion that is different from what we would do, as long as they remain Biblical.

I took the time to research Word of Faith and Emerging Church doctrine and beliefs and found both wanting, but unlike this instance, I did not just take people at their word. I listened to the positive as well as the negative out of the movements. I researched the movements and read their material. I took a personal look at the movements. In this case I got stuck in the negative, and all I can say is I do not know why. It was wrong, and to me sin, as I judged my brother in Christ without first listening first hand to what was being said.

Knowing Adam more personally then prior, I can say that he loves the Lord and loves to worship Him through music. He has lead worship at Ransomed on Friday nights a few times and it has been a great pleasure to have him there. He certainly has a gift and an ear for it. Not to mention he brings out the speakers so we can worship loud and then no one can hear me sing, which of course is much more pleasant for everyone (myself included).

As it pertains to “The Noise,” I would recommend it. Based on listening to all three hours Friday night I enjoyed it very much. Adam had guests on and he did a great interview, and you could tell he was having a great time doing it, which drew you into the program. I enjoyed the quick changes of direction now and then and the boldness to talk about issues that I emailed him. The music in my opinion was Awesome!! He had a great variety from rock, rap, worship and contemporary, which is what I like. You were guaranteed not to hear the same songs that play over and over again on typical Christian radio. It was actually refreshing to me.
This is all based on listening to one show, but my guess is that many people that have talked to me based their opinion the same way I did at first and that was not listening at all and only going with what others told them. There maybe some differences between Adam and I on some topics, but from talking to Adam I can say that those are what I would call non-essentials, meaning they do not relate to salvation or the essentials of orthodox Christianity. Those types of disagreements make great conversations and room for growth.

Adam is different on the radio, which I like, and the show moves smoothly. If all his shows are as sound and as good as this one then I am wondering what all the commotion is about out there. Listen to the program and enjoy it, I know I will every chance I get.
Adam my friend and brother in Christ, I apologize for not first listening and judging my brother wrongly. Keep Jammin For Christ!!! For anyone that is interested can click on the link below and listen on Saturday nights from 7-10pm on the Internet, or if you are in Indiana, Pa you can catch him on 105.1fm, WMUG. If you are in the area on Friday nights come and see if Adam is playing at Ransomed at 7:45pm, and you will not be disappointed in worshipping with us.

http://www.wmugradio.org/ then click the link ‘to listen live.’

You can contact him at thenoise@wmugradio.or or check him out on myspace prior to listening to him at, www.myspace.com/iupmug.

No comments: