Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Eyes Straight!

Proverbs 4:25, “Let your eyes look forward; fix your gaze straight ahead.”

I will be continuing the Heaven conversation next time, but this was the topic of this past Friday at Ransomed.

My friend and his wife came to the Friday night ministry I currently lead, Ransomed, to speak on sexuality and the challenges in today’s culture. They were recently married, and strived in their pre-marital lives to walk with integrity and chastity. They are both strong believers and desire to walk according to the Scripture, and this included their dating life with one another.

I enjoyed listening to them very much, as they had a lot of incites, but there was one point that stuck out to me that I thought was a wonderful example to tell if a man is the right man for you. Laura was telling some stories of dating the wrong men, and most women that are reading this have probably already been through ‘the wrong man’ and most likely thinking of someone right now. The men who are reading this are probably thinking about the times they were the wrong man. Either way, she gave a great analogy to demonstrate whether or not it is the right man.

Laura said she finally came to a place where she was tired of feeling like she was always grabbing the man by the hand and dragging him along with her. The conversion by dating syndrome. A woman thinks that she can change a man by dating or marrying him. One of the great myths of our society! She was frustrated in the fact that she was never able to find a man that was where she was at spiritually. Laura then decided that she would wait for the man God had for her, and one way she would know is that this man would be running the race she was planning on running; eyes straight on Christ.

She put it this way (this is not an exact quote, but will be written as if she said it). I am going to run the race that God has set before me. I planned on keeping my eyes straight and on Jesus, and not looking back to see if there was some man that I might be able to bring along. Instead I would wait until I saw a man out of the corner of my eye who was running alongside of me. I was not going to deter my faith for a temporal relationship that would never work out because he was not the Godly man he needed to be. Once this man showed up in her life, she noticed and ended up marrying him.

I love this example, because it was not about “being married,” or having to be with a man to feel whole. Those reasons will only cause disaster within your marriage. Women need to find a man that is running beside them spiritually, and if not beside then a little ahead, but never behind you. If they are not where you are spiritually or ahead then keep looking, as you are only going to end up heart broken and frustrated. What will eventually happen if you do not keep the standard is you will end up with his standards trying to please him.

Men, you need to take the lead and become the men God intended you to be. You need to fix your eyes on Christ and run the race. Be the Godly men our Christian sister’s desire. Step up and walk the line drawn within the Bible. It is time to strengthen those spiritual muscles and use them.

Psalm 25:15, “My eyes are always on the LORD, for He will pull my feet out of the net.”

No comments: