Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Do We Really Love Him?

“If you want to be my follower you must love me more than your own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters – yes, more than your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple” (Luke 14:26).

Did you ever notice that when you are sick how much more you realize a need for prayer? I caught the stomach flu over the last weekend, and I am still recovering from it. I have this very high phobia of throwing-up (you may laugh), but I do, so catching the stomach flu is one of my worst nightmares. I laid there on my bed and prayed that I would not get sick. I begged, pleaded and to no avail, you guessed it, I got sick. And sick I got, as I ended up in the emergency room dehydrated with a 102 temperature. What a wonderful way to spend your days off.

Just so you know, this was after spending three days in bed with cluster migraines. Of the past 8 days, I have only spent two out of my bedroom somewhat healthy. To say the least, it has been a whirlwind of fun for me, not to mention my poor wife. I cried out to God much more then I did to my wife during this time, as I knew He could heal me if He wanted and Erin could not. She could only care for the symptoms. It hit me during this time of excitement that I am much more aware of my Savior when I need something.

Did you ever notice that when things are going great the first people we usually tell are family, friends, associates and then many times God if at all? Think about the last great day, event or special occasion that was just for you. Who did you think of first? Who did you thank first? And I do not mean like the phony actions many do by thanking “God.” If you thanked God, how did you do it? Was it so all knew, or just a whisper? When we thank our mother, father, wife, husband for doing something for us it is usually very vocal and we let everyone know, but do you do that for the One that we are to love most? We show everyone and tell everyone about the gift given to us, but do we do that with Christ? Only you can answer that question.

How long does it take for people to know you are a believer? When people ask about your family, is Jesus included? If we are to love Him more then them, He should probably be at least included in that list, correct? Why do we need to earn the right to tell someone about the One we love so much? We should be excited to tell others. Do you wait to introduce your wife, mother, brother, father or sister? Wait until you have earned some favor, or done some nice thing for them. No, if they are there you introduce them. Is not Christ always with us?

Maybe it is because you are afraid of what others might think. Maybe you are afraid you cannot answer questions or that they will tease you and call you names. Maybe you will lose a job or receive a lower grade in class. Who cares? There are many excuses, but the reality is that if we love Jesus like He commands then people will not be in doubt of who we are or Whom we love.

Jesus continues on with this statement in Luke 14:27-28, “And you cannot be my disciple if you do not carry your own cross and follow me. But don’t begin until you count the cost. . . .” Are you carrying your own cross? Have you truly counted the cost, or is He just there to heal your sickness? Is He someone you talk about among your “Christian” friends, and if you ‘earn’ the right to tell someone and if it ‘feels’ right you will tell them? Or is He Lord of your life, Lover of your soul?

YOU DECIDE!

No comments: