Friday, February 08, 2008

A Soldier for Christ

1 Samuel 18:1, “When David had finished speaking with Saul, Jonathan committed himself to David, and loved him as much as he loved himself.”

This is a very emotional and hard blog for me to write, because it is very close to my heart. Even just thinking about writing this brings tears to my eyes. You see, someone very close to me is very ill. He is not just a friend, but a brother in Christ and my best friend.

I have spoken many times to the college students, and many men that they need to have a relationship with other men like that of David and Jonathan. They knew each other deeply and understood each other without even the need to speak at times. There was a bond that nothing would break. I am lucky enough to have that relationship with Mike. He knows everything about me, which can be a scary thought, but it is also a breath of fresh air. I do not have to pretend, puff up, man up, or whatever you want to call it. There are no hedges up or walls when we talk. We both know we can be real with each other. No need to impress, as we both already know each others weaknesses and strengths.

Do you have that? Is there someone in your life that you can tell anything to, and I mean anything? A lot of people will say, “Yeah, my spouse is like that to me.” Really? Do they know everything about your past, the thoughts you deal with, the sins you struggle with? Or do they know everything you want them to know? I am not saying that we should hide things from our wives, as mine is my best friend and there is not much I will not tell her, but she has no interest or need to know everything about my past (as it is not pretty). Mike knows all the grimy details, as he was there and we walked through our struggles together, just as Jonathan was with David walking through life with him. We grew up together in the Christian faith.

There are not too many people in this world apart from my family that I would die for, but Mike is one of them. I would gladly die for him or right beside him. And that is what is hard, as he has cancer and there is nothing that I can do for him. I can pray for him, and I can stand by his side, which I will, but I cannot fix it. You never know the impact, even as a Therapist, until it happens to someone you care about deeply. You can always sympathize with people, but you never truly understand.

What is amazing to me is Mike’s attitude through this whole ordeal. He is a true soldier for Christ, as he never has blamed God, nor said ‘why me?’ Sure he has gone through the typical emotions of having a family and looking at your life possibly ending sooner then you thought, but if I know Mike, and I do; I know one of his deepest regrets will be that he did not get to witness or preach to one more person. He has been such a great example to me of the Christian walk.

All I want to do is take his pain away, to help him through this in anyway that I can. To lose Mike would be to lose a piece of my heart. I would certainly be very excited and jealous that he is with our Savior, but at the same time I would long for my friend. God has used him to help me become the man I am today. He would encourage when needed, and call me to account when needed. I know he prays for me and longs for my best as well. I love him deeply and know he loves me deeply.

We use to say that we would be martyred for our faith together, and we were actually excited about that, as it would be a great honor to die with my brother for our Savior, Jesus Christ. I can almost think of no better way to die. My prayer is that Mike will not succumb to this cancer, but will continue to be around for many years to come, and then he and I can go out in glory together for the cause of Christ!!!

As, I have let you into my life, I am also going to ask that as you pray for my friend that you consider helping him with the astronomical bills that are going to be coming. Mike is a Village Mission pastor in Kansas. Mike, his beautiful wife, Sara, and their children have sacrificed their lives to reach those that many pastors will not go to because there is no money involved. The MacWhinnie family is a true example of living for Christ. They are looking heavenward and not for earthly treasures.

If you cannot give, then please pray for them and pass this along to others to pray that Christ will use the doctors to heal him. Pray that our Father in Heaven will use the Holy Spirit to directly heal him as a witness for those around them. Pray for his wife and children, that they will be comforted by family and the Holy Spirit. Pray that Mike will continue to live for Christ through chemo and radiation. If I know him, he has already preached to many at the hospital.

Mike. . . . I love you buddy.

Click on Mike’s name if you want to donate or learn more about what he is doing: Mike MacWhinnie.

2 Timothy 2:3, “Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.”

No comments: