Monday, August 06, 2007

Think You Love Christ!

I had to go to a leadership retreat a couple of weeks ago, and during this time we looked at different passages of Scripture, and one stuck out to me. Acts 2:42-47, and in particular one certain phrase in verse 46, “They worshipped together at the temple each day. . . .” Every day this verse says they worshipped at the temple.

What do you think of when you read this verse? Do you think there is no way you could go to church everyday or how incredibly boring that would be? Or do you think that would be the greatest thing if you could worship together with fellow believers, and wish it started tomorrow?

Many of you, and me, start to think about the people you would have to see, or the music that is played, or the absence of or too much liturgy for your taste, but is that what we should be thinking about when we consider worship. I am thinking that if it does not excite us then Heaven may not be where we want to be when we die. I would certainly think we would all come together each “day” at some interval to worship God directly, even though we will be in His presence continually.

The Bible talks about us continually worshipping God in Heaven, but to think of gathering together at the church each day to worship God is seen as troublesome or too time consuming today. Most churches do not even have Wednesday night services any more because there is no interest. Demonstrating our cultures attitude toward our Savior.

Some will say, “Wait a minute, I worship God in all I do.” The key word in that sentence being “I.” We try to rationalize that what we do is worshipping God, but when we take account, how much of that time really has anything to do with worshipping God? Or how often do you do everything you do in consideration of God? What you think, drink, eat, watch, read, do at work, on a date, or in your marriage.

Would all that change if you gathered together with everyone each day at church? What do you think the attitude of the apostles were when they went to church? I am guessing they could not wait and looked forward to it, as they realized who they were worshipping. I wonder if sometimes we forget why we truly gather together to worship.

It was a gut check and a heart check for me to read this verse. Why do I come to worship on Sunday, and do I look at Christ this way everyday? Do I realize who Christ is and what He has done for me, or is it just a Sunday morning ritual? Christ is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and deserves our daily and continual worship!!

No comments: