Thursday, July 20, 2006

Blue Like Jazz

I am sure you are picking up on why I am writing this with blue lettering, but if not just reread the name of the title. ‘Blue Like Jazz’ is a book written by Donald Miller. It is a very well written and thought provoking. If you have not read this book, it is well worth the price. Warning: this book is not written like any book I have read in a long time, as it reads like jazz, where at times the book flows naturally and elegantly and then it can take an abrupt change. The change though somehow fits perfectly within the context of the story, making it an even better read in my opinion.

I was first apprehensive about reading this book when I saw that Brian McLaren had written a recommendation for the book on the back cover. As I am very leery of the Emergent Church movement, which Mr. McLaren is considered one of the founding fathers. I have read his book ‘A New Kind of Christian’ and ‘Generous Orthodoxy.’ I would have to say both of the books are “as deep as a mud puddle,” as my friend can so eloquently describe something that is lacking. I will post more detailed thoughts on the Emergent Church and McLaren at later postings, but for now let’s focus on ‘Blue Like Jazz.’

Like I said, I was apprehensive, but as I read I became more and more engrossed in the book and the story behind Donald’s spiritual walk. He presents a very compelling story that draws you in and at the same time gives thought provoking commentary that will convict and challenge any Christian no matter where they are in their journey today. “This is the hardest principle within Christian spirituality for me to deal with. The problem is not out there; the problem is the needy beast of a thing that lives in my chest.” This is just one challenging quote of many that you will find within the pages of ‘Blue Like Jazz.’

During an interview Mr. Miller was asked about how some of the Christians were acting, and whether or not that was appropriate. His response is very sufficient for the only warning I would have prior to reading the book. He basically said that he is just reporting the truth and not abdicating or rationalizing any behavior that is described. It is just what happened during his spiritual journey. There is no language that I can remember and nothing a reader would have to worry about, but he does talk about drug use, drinking and smoking, though he never condones the behavior. The behavior actually helped me to intermix with the characters, making me get a better sense of what Donald was going through.

It was a challenge to me because the book in essence, and as stated on the book, is a book about spirituality without the religion. It is that, but also about how a man seeking a true relationship with Christ. He drew closer to Christ and was able to see what it meant to follow Him, even from tree hugging, pot smoking hippies who lived in the woods. You would not think you could learn anything from tree hugging, pot smoking hippies, but Donald clearly demonstrates that even in this situation there is a lesson to learn.

As you can see I am being detailed on my thoughts, but vague about what you can learn. I am doing this on purpose, as I do not want to ruin the book for anyone. You will not go wrong reading this book and you will come away with a new perspective on people different then yourself. Hopefully it will also dare you to look for Christ speaking to you in all situations that present themselves, as it has me. I will end with one more quote from this very provocative and stimulating book. “I can no more understand the totality of God than the pancake I made for breakfast understands the complexity of me. The little we do understand, that grain of sand our minds are capable of grasping, those ideas such as God is good, God feels, God loves, God knows all, are enough to keep our hearts dwelling on His majesty and otherness forever.”

No comments: